Galilee Science Education Center
In 1987 Migal established the Galilee Science Education Center, as a bridge between the scientists and the community. In its educational work, the center benefits from close relationships with Migal's scientists and from the opportunity to use their laboratories, up-to-date equipment and know-how.
The Galilee Science Education Center's mission is to bring the excitement and wonder of science to all residents of the Galilee.
This mission is addressed by concentrating on the following goals:
- To provide quality extracurricular science programs, for both classes and individual students
- To actively involve students in scientific research and development, not only at Migal but also at other research institutions and industries in the region.
- To offer science teachers opportunities for professional development, involving cutting-edge science as well as progressive pedagogical approaches.
- To integrate innovative learning environments with its programs for students and teachers.
- To conduct special "science days” for the general public.
The Center provides the youth of the region with opportunities similar to those available in the central region of the country, where universities and research institutes are common, and at times even attracts classes from central Israel to our unique programs.
In addition to its school-based and after-school programs, the Center also conducts camps and seminars for science-oriented high school students during school vacations. These science camps bring together a cross-section of Israeli youth: Jewish youth from religious and secular backgrounds, from development towns and established cities, and from moshavim and kibbutzim; Arab youth from Christian and Moslem backgrounds; and Druze and Bedouin youth from the Galilee and the Golan.